Care management is an essential component of person-centered healthcare. It is the integration of members, payers, and providers to achieve person-centered coordinated care.
Care management software resides at the core of coordinated patient care: it enables comprehensive and actionable clinical and non-clinical member data to be recorded accurately, in a shared record across the care team for improved quality of care.
It is important to choose the best care management software for your organization. There are many options, so carefully weighing the available features will empower you to choose the software that best suits all users.
Steps Before Picking the Right Care Management Software
Evaluating and choosing an appropriate care management system can be an overwhelming process. Asking several key questions can guide and streamline the process.
Understanding how a new care management software system would fit into your healthcare environment is critical. As such, here are some questions to ponder before selecting a care management system:
- What are the needs of your organization? Whether you are a payer or provider, take stock of what challenges you are currently facing and what can be improved by updating your care management system.
- What are the needs of the members? Similarly, there are numerous benefits members can receive from a care management system. However, it must be the correct software for their specific needs, or it could make providing or accessing care more difficult.
- What software, if any, is currently being used by various partner providers and/or payers? The ease of which data can be shared or integrated with a newer and more comprehensive system is a factor to take into consideration. The care management system should have extensive capabilities for interoperability with a variety of other systems.
- Is the available technology able to support the new software? If not, it may be time to update or consider moving to a SaaS hosted model.
- Is there an existing Electronic Health Record system? If so, it is important to understand the differences between what capabilities the EHR and care management system can provide.
- What regulatory and security compliances are your organization required to meet? It is crucial that your care management system is able to meet these standards and some systems are much more advanced than others in this regard.
Key Features of Care Management Software
After assessing the existing conditions, it is important to know what features to seek out. Every organization has different priorities, and various care management software exists to serve these priorities. There are some general features that most care management software will have.
Some of the key features of care management software include:
- User-friendly interface
- Screening and assessment library
- Person-centered care plans
- Referral capabilities
- Utilization Management integration
- Task management and automated workflows
- Alerts and reminders
- Interoperability with Electronic Health Records
- Care Team Portal
- Customizable reporting tools
- Advanced security
The usage of care management software with these features benefits all parties involved, resulting in quality care for the member. Additionally, a care team portal makes it simple for members to stay informed and involved in their own healthcare.
13 Criteria To Help You Choose the Best Care Management Software
Although care management software comes with most of the basic features, taking additional criteria into account will help with the decision-making process. Not all care management software is created equal and therefore may not be the right fit for your organization.
Important criteria to keep in mind are discussed below:
- Flexibility and configurability
Having software with configurability will enhance the efficiency of your organization, ultimately benefiting the members’ healthcare. Configurable systems also enable health plans and providers to be more agile, adapt quickly to emergent needs, and avoid costs associated with hard coded system changes.
- Integrated physical, behavioral, and social health
A care management system needs the ability to develop integrated care plans to address a member’s physical, behavioral, and social needs. An integrated whole person care approach to health indicates a shift from health as lack of illness to state of wellbeing.
- Care Team based approach
Using an Interdisciplinary care team approach facilitates communication and exchange of information between members, payers and providers (physician and non-physician, physical and behavioral health) via real-time, online applications.
Relatedly, the ability of the care management software to coordinate amongst many different providers and the care team is paramount. Often, members will be receiving care from multiple providers, so the ability to communicate and coordinate services, medications, procedures, etc., enhances members’ care.
Analytics capabilities for identification and stratification helps to determine member risk level for assigning into the appropriate care management program. Additionally, analytics enables a member’s gaps in care to be identified for the Care Manager to address.
- Social service referrals
Care management software focuses on an individual’s holistic health. Sometimes, this entails contacting non-clinical professionals. Using care management software, non-clinical professionals can be logged and contacted much more efficiently, especially by members themselves.
These are a few of the important criteria to consider when choosing care management software. Every organization will have different needs, so it is valuable to be aware of the organization’s daily operations and other requirements.
Other criteria to consider includes:
- Reporting Capabilities
- Ease of Use
- Clinical Content
- Integration Capabilities
- Support and Training
Incedo care management platform facilitates coordination amongst providers, payers, and members. The highly configurable nature of Incedo enables it to accommodate various care management programs and workflows through its many configurable features. It also provides accessible data to all members of the care team.
Incedo is a leading care management software from InfoMC. It greatly improves efficiency, communication, and logistics by automating many routine care management tasks. In turn, this reduces costs一 for members and payers alike一 while simultaneously improving health outcomes. More information can be found here, or contact us directly today!